When I’m not working on all things Indie, I can sometimes be found using stuff in our fridge to make natural cosmetics. My daughter and I whipped up Summer Facial Mask with ingredients we had on hand and some green clay from Indie Beauty Network member From Nature With Love. It’s best for oily skin, which mine is, and will leave your skin refreshed and clean.
1 egg white
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon rose water or plain water
1 mashed strawberry, top removed
1 drop tea tree essential oil
1 drop lavender essential oil
French green clay to make a smooth paste
- Beat egg white until slightly stiff. Add lemon juice and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, slightly warm the rose hydrosol in the microwave or a double boiler. Add the honey to the rose hydrosol and stir to dissolve. Add the mashed strawberry and stir well to thoroughly combine.
- Add the honey/rose/strawberry mixture to the lemon juice mixture and stir to form a liquid that is lightly gel-like.
- Begin adding clay, one teaspoon at a time, stirring after each addition. The clay will begin to thicken the mixture. Add only enough clay to produce a wet and smooth, spreadable paste.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add the essential oils and stir to combine.
- Modify this recipe for a pre-teen child by omitting the essential oils and rinsing off the mask after about 5 minutes.
Smooth a layer of Summer Facial Mask over clean face and neck. Rest for 10-15 minutes. Avoid eye areas. If your skin is especially sensitive, omit the essential oils. Rinse well with warm water and pat excess water from face and neck. Follow with toner and moisturizer. This mask may also be used on your back.
If you enjoy making Summer Facial Mask, email me a picture of yourself "wearing" it and I’ll send you a delectable sugar scrub made my a member of the Indie Beauty Network!
For more natural beauty recipes, visit Make Your Cosmetics.com. Enjoy!